MDF and Macassar, both edgebanded
We get asked lots about what materials are cabinets are available in.
Short answer ‘A’ is that our workshop has a catalogue of over 400 materials of various thicknesses and finishes so in all probability you can have your cabinet in anything you want.
Short answer ‘B’ is that the website is geared around providing an instant quotation for delivering your design to you from 18MM thick MDF.
As you may be thinking there is a very long answer between answers ‘A’ and ‘B’!
The picture above shows standard MDF and a Melamine Faced Chipboard (MFC) product which has what the manufacturer calls a ‘Macassar’ wood grain effect finish.
Although that horrible word ‘chipboard’ has been mentioned don’t confuse these type of MFC products with the chipboard you’ve seen in DIY sheds. A quality MFC differs in that:
- The finish is thick, hard wearing and attractive with a multitude of textures available.
- The core is manufactured within high tolerances so it is even and won’t fall to bits even if it gets the occasional soaking.
- The core doesn’t contain odd things like bolts found in cheap chipboard therefore you won’t ruin your tools.
- Matching edgebandings are available so once it is assembled you’ll never see the core.
- The edgebandings are available in 0.4MM and 2MM. The thicker edgebandings are incredibly robust and give the final cabinet a strong appearance.
Because edgebanded quality MFC doesn’t need spraying/varnishing etc, is low maintenance and is available in any wood grains and colour it is the material of choice for high end kitchens and commercial fit outs.
The reason we don’t automatically offer it on the website is because it costs more and we need to use it on a per sheet basis. So whilst we know MDF will be used every day something like Macassar may be chosen by a customer just once a month.
However if you do want a special MFC, or indeed real wood veneer or Baltic Birch Ply, it is available and usually within 3 days. You’ll probably want the MFC edgebanded so the cost goes up a bit more again.
Is it worth it? I think so. It makes the cabinets true bespoke quality that will last for a lifetime. It’s why so many of the samples on this website are in Birch Ply, Platinum White MFC and ‘Tabacca Aida Walnut’.